The Legacy of Huey Long
• Huey Long was a political lightening rod. Louisiana voters either loved him or hated him like no other politician before or since. Here you'll find the arguments from both sides of this debate.
• Even 75 years after his death, people are passionate about Huey Long. Was he Louisiana's greatest hero, or its greatest villain? You get to decide for yourself
A Rally for Huey Long
• You're just in time for a Huey Long political rally!
• Huey Long was the master of the personal stump speech. Step right up to get a real feeling for the charisma of this master politician.
• Huey Long campaigned before the age of television, and when radio was in its infancy. When you hear Huey Long give his stump speech, imagine having to deliver this same speech 10 to 15 times a day, seven days a week for several months in a row!
• You can experience audio recordings of Long's actual speeches.
Huey Long's Assassination
• You might call this place "Baton Rouge CSI.” The crime is the assassination of Huey Long in 1935. Here you'll see the real evidence, and learn both sides of the controversy. The questions you'll have to answer are, "Who did it? What actually happened?”
• Why did Huey Long have so many bodyguards? If you've been to the Second Floor here at the Old State Capitol, you'll know all about his impeachment for trying to tax Standard Oil. It was during that political war that Huey Long began getting death threats. That's when he first hired bodyguards.
• Pay special attention to the music in this room. This is a new recording based on original music created for, and played at Huey Long's funeral. The story of how we found the only copy of this music is told in this exhibit.
• You'll see shadows of two firearms in this room. These represent the two possible weapons that might have killed Huey Long. Which killed him? You decide.
Photos Courtesy of Herb Sumrall Jr.